September 06, 2012

Fish is meat

I know this has been mostly about meat, but I spent a good amount of time cooking fish during the summer. Technically, fish is meat, so I guess I'm not too far afield.

On these two photos, you can see what happens when you cook a fish on coals. As an aside, I filled the fish cavity with herbs and a couple of slices of lemon. The difficult part is to ensure that the fish isn't overcooked, and also that it doesn't disintegrate when it gets flipped. 

The trick that I learned is to let it grill significantly, until it gets nice and charred, and then flip it. 

On this one, you can see that I left a little too long. It turned out good enough to eat (frankly quite good), but it could probably have been flipped a little sooner. I didn't cook it quite as long on the other side.

You can do the same thing with any whole fish, fresh or saltwater.

No comments: