September 04, 2012

Summer grilling

This summer, I had a grill, and seafood, and time.

I went to the market and bought some calamari and cuttlefish fished the night before. The calamari was so fresh that it was slightly transluscent. I decided to make ceviche with it, which is to say that I winged a marinade with some lemon, lime, and orange juice, garlic, shallot, herbs, and coriander. I added a touch of sugar to correct for acidity. It was delicious, if a bit goopy.

I then used the same marinade for the cuttlefish, priori to grilling.
I beheaded and gutted some sardines, which come fresh from local Breton waters.
 On some hot coals, I layed out my cuttlefish.
It really doesn't need to cook at all, so you can cook it as little as you want. Personally I like to see some caramelizing of the marinade, but be sure not to overcook, as it gets chewy.
Sardines on a grill.
The trick I learned recently is to way until they no longer stick to the grate to flip them.
All served for a nice and simple lunch with tomatoes and a few pan-fried vegetables.

No comments: